Some of my recent projects:
- 2015 Copy editing and helping to bring to press Damian Knight’s first novel, a sci-fi thriller for young Adults, ‘The Pages of Time’.
- 2014 Video editing for Brian Waltham Celebration in London in September 2014
- 2013 design and maintenance of website on the history of shops and pubs in Primrose Hill, London
- 2012 Editing Chris Clunn’s retrospective ‘I Should Coco’. Editorial work on Brian Waltham’s ‘Memos’ and his website at www.brianwaltham.com
- 2011 Edited the introduction to Chris Clunn’s new book of portrait photography Meirionnydd (FUW 2011).
- 2011 Made the initial selection for Brian Waltham’s posthumous poetry collection The Hang of It (Line Press 2011) and later on was instrumental in bringing the book to press.
- 2011 Proofreading for Hodder Education’s Primary Years Programme series (Hodder 2011).
- 2000-09 As managing editor of Smaller Sky Books I was involved in the whole range of publishing and editorial work from commissioning to copy editing. At the pre-production stage : commissioning cover art, obtaining permissions,overseeing typesetting and book layout, liaising with printers and designers. Post-publication : press releases and pre-publication publicity, sending out review copies and maintaining a clipping service. Also overseeing the company’s web presence and writing copy for the website.
More specifically, the editorial role included :
- Substantial editing on William Cooper’s Scenes From Death and Life. This was an unpublished MS which had been written some years previously needing a lot of work to make it publishable.
- Making the selection from a lifetime’s poetic output for Selected Poems and Memoirs of John Wain from a variety of sources, both published and unpublished sourcing; collating my late father’s unpublished autobiographical writings, and writing the 5,000 word introduction.
- Editorial selection and/or editorial guidance for other works including Graham Tayar’s Not Too Late For Loving, Eric Donner’s The Stranger in the House, and Rob Silverman’s The Job Lottery.
- Reading and evaluating submissions for publication.
- Smaller Sky Books was also one of the earliest small presses to experiment with eBooks (digital editions) and brought out a number of titles purely in electronic form. Of these, Frank Egerton’s The Lock went on to be published in paperback.The Print On Demand process became widely available during this time and Smaller Sky was one of the independent publishers who began using this production format.
- Other editorial work 1990 – 93 Made the selection and worked on research, footnotes and section introductions for The Journals of James Boswell 1760 – 1795, a mammoth task of producing a single book from the thirteen volume Yale University edition. I also carried out the research on a BBC Radio 4 programme The Unearthing of James Boswell’s Journals.
- 1986 – 87 I was editorial assistant on The Oxford Library of English Poetry; (Oxford University Press) and carried out research and proofreading for for Dr Christine Nicholls on the Supplement to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, also for the OUP.